The 2020 Kauai County Farm Bureau Fair has been canceled
Fruit and Vegetable Competition & Show
The Farm Bureau Fruit and Vegetable Show is an annual tradition. Every year, experienced farmers, backyard growers, and students bring their fruits and vegetables from atemoya to vanilla to Vidinha Stadium the Thursday morning before the fair for judging in the Fruit and Vegetable competition. For fair attendees, the show offers a glimpse of the many varieties that are currently grown on Kauai. Entries will be accepted on Thursday from 8 a.m. to noon at the Fruit and Vegetables tent exhibit area of the fairground. Late entries will be displayed but not judged.
The public is invited to participate! Win ribbons and prize money!
All entries must be grown on Kauai by their exhibitor, only one per variety of commodity. All varieties are eligible – see PDF Entry List. Those with more than 10 entries are requested to prepare their entry forms in advance. Entry is on Thursday, August 15, 2019, from 8:00 am to 12 noon sharp. Click here to download PDF of General Information and Rules with Entry List.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND RULES
A. Entries will be accepted on Thursday, August 15, 2019, from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 sharp, at the Fruit & Vegetable exhibit area of the fairground. Late entries will be displayed – if space is available – but not judged.
- Entries must be grown on Kauai by the exhibitor.
- Only one entry per variety of each commodity listed is allowed.
- Entries in Youth Division must be entirely grown by those 16 years old and younger.
- Entries must be properly entered. Official entry forms will be available at the Fruit & Vegetable show area. Those with 10 or more items may pick up entry forms in advance at the UH-CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service, in the State Office Building, 3060 Eiwa Street, Room 210, Lihue (Phone: 274-3471).
B. Judging will be by the Danish system; there may be more than one blue, red or white ribbon given for each commodity. Decisions of the judges are final. Judging will be based on Hawaii Grading Standards, when applicable, or by the following standards:
- Uniformity in color, shape and size, characteristic of commodity.
- Free from defects, blemishes, injuries, insects or diseases.
C. Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded as follows:
- BEST-IN-SHOW (Fruit) – $50
- BEST-IN-SHOW (Vegetable) – $50
- Blue ribbon – $10
- Red ribbon – $7
- White ribbon – $5
D. In addition to ribbons and cash prizes, HIGH POINT cash prizes will be awarded to individuals with the highest total points:
- 1st – $150
- 2nd – $125
- 3rd – $100
- 4th – $50
- 5th – $25
E. Names of HIGH POINT and BEST-IN-SHOW winners will be posted and published.
F. Ribbons and cash prizes will be mailed to the winners by the Kauai County Farm Bureau.
G. All fruit and vegetable entries will be on display through closing, Saturday night, August 17th.
This year we have two special contests:
- Beets: Grow. Enter. Win. Sweet… nutritious…diverse… and beautiful, beets are one of the premier root vegetables easily grown on Kauai. The University of Hawaii ~ CTAHR Master Gardeners gave away free beet seeds and starts from such varieties as Bull’s Blood, Touchstone Gold, Tall Top, and Chioggia. Beets will be the featured vegetable in the 2019 KCFB Farm Fair Fruit and Vegetable SPECIAL Contest ~ enter and win! Click here to download information.
- Best fruit or vegetable grown by youth
Special contest cash prizes:
Mahalo to our sponsors Ulu Pono Initiative – Hawaii Dairy Farms.
Four Days of Fun, Food, Farming & Great Entertainment for the Family!
The Kauai County Farm Bureau Fair is a community event supported by island businesses.
Alaska Airlines • Alexander & Baldwin Properties, Inc. • American Machinery • Beck’s Superior Hybrids • Coca Cola • College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources University of Hawaii at Manoa • Corteva Agroscience • Department of Water, County of Kauai • First Hawaiian Bank • Garden Island Federal Credit Union • Gather Federal Credit Union • GEICO Insurance • Grove Farm Company • Hawaii Dairy Farms • Hartung Brothers Inc. Hawaii • Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association – Kauai Chapter • HMSA • Island Comfort Air Conditioning • Kauai Government Employees Federal Credit Union • Kauai Grown • Kauai Island Utility Cooperative • Kuku‘iula • Matson Navigation • Menehune Water • Renewable Energy Technologies • Rising Sun Solar • Safeway • Subway Restaurants of Kauai • State Senator Ron Kouchi • Sunbelt Rentals • Territorial Savings Bank • Ulupono Initiative • Wilcox Health • Napa Auto Parts
In Kind Sponsors: GGarden Island Portables • Kauai Beach Resort • American Medical Response • County of Kauai • Avis-Budget Group • Garden Island Security • Hawaiian Airlines KUAI AM570 & 104.5FM • KONG Radio Group • State of Hawaii – Department of Transportation – Harbors Division • Wellington Fence • Young Brothers • GP Roadway Solutions • Tire Warehouse
Visit The Kauai Grown Store next to the Info Booth and support Kauai Grown and made products here on Kauai
Entertainment Tent Sponsored by Alaska Airlines
Commercial Tent Sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines
Exhibit Tent Sponsored by A&B & Kukui‘ula
© Copyright, 2019, Kauai County Farm Bureau, P.O. Box 3895, Lihue HI 96766