2018 Farm Fair Opens In
Ag and Livestock
4-H: The Power of Youth!
Look for the 4-Hers at the fair! You’ll find them wearing the traditional 4-H logo – a green four-leaf clover with white “H” on each leaf representing Head, Heart, Hands and Health.
The 4-H Petting Zoo will be operated during limited hours by 4-H members in the Livestock tent. Bring a child to share the experience of cuddling up to a bunny, petting a tame chicken or hanging out with a cute piglet. Take advantage of a teachable moment to develop an appreciation of animals and agriculture. Cost to enter is $2.00 a person. All proceeds of the zoo will benefit the Kauai 4-H Federation, a not-for-profit organization that provides educational opportunities for youth. During the year, the 4-H Federation provides opportunities for youth to lead, learn and grow through workshops, leadership trainings, conferences and service learning projects. With the help of adults, youth plan and implement these activities while developing valuable life skills.
4-H activities will take place under the Livestock Tent during the four-day fair.
- The 4-H Petting Zoo will take place from 7:00-8:30 pm on Thursday, 7:30-9:00 pm on Friday, 3:30-5:00 pm and 7:30-9 pm on Saturday, and 12:30-2:00 on Sunday. For your health and safety, we will have hand washing stations, but remember that no food, beverages, baby bottles and sipper cups should be brought to areas where animals are present.
- 4-Hers enrolled in the market livestock project will be working with their project animals and getting them ready for the show and auction. A Beef Steer and Goat Show will be held on Thursday, Aug. 24 at 6 pm and a Lamb and Hog Show will be held on Friday, Aug. 25 at 6 pm All market animals will be auctioned off on Saturday, August 26 starting at 6:30 pm 4-H Awards will be presented prior to the auction at 6:15 pm All of these events will take place in the Agriculture and Livestock area.
- 4-H Cloverbud members will have their pet projects on display. Cloverbuds are youth between the ages of 5-8 and participate in 4-H through non-competitive projects. Come and support their efforts as they practice their public speaking skills and showcase their pet rabbits and chickens.
- Want to harvest your own fresh eggs? We’ll have a variety this year; mostly Cinnamon Queens chicks (a Rhode Island derivative) that can lay 320 eggs a year. Also included will be Araucanas which lay about 250 blue to green eggs a year. We’ll also have some Buff Orpington which are dual purpose birds that lay 200-250 eggs per year. The Cuckoo Marans are a barred variety developed in France which lay about 180-220 large dark brown eggs a year. Jahmas are big and friendly egg layers producing about 200-250 eggs per year. All chicks will be sold for $5.00 each on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Limited quantities will be sold on a first come, first served basis; on Thursday at 8:30 pm, Friday at 9:30 pm and Saturday at 5:30 and 9:30 pm All remaining chicks on display will be sold on Sunday at 2:00 pm You must bring your own container to purchase these egg layers.
Come and learn about the many things 4-H has to offer. There is something for everyone and you’ll discover that it’s much more than raising livestock! Sign up as a 4-H volunteer and experience the rewarding feeling of helping others!
For more information on 4-H, come and talk to us at the fair or call the University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension Office at 274-3473.
2018 Information Will be Posted When Available
Kauai Master Gardeners Plant Sale Fundraiser
Don’t miss the Kauai Master Gardeners annual farm fair plant sale fundraiser. This year, we’re offering a variety of organically grown herbs, vegetable starts, native and landscape plants.
In addition to old favorites, we’ll have exciting new introductions to choose from, including several unique varieties of basil, dill, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, parsley, shiso, lemon balm, cilantro, lemon grass, catnip, arugula, kale, Swiss chard, tomatoes, peppers, vanilla orchids and more!
We will also have UH seeds available for purchase or for order.
All proceeds from the sale will support the Kauai Master Gardener Program in its mission to promote sustainable gardening practices. This is our biggest fundraising event of the year and we need your support!
- Buy plants for your home garden
- Mingle with Master Gardeners and learn more about our program
- Browse our collection of free locally, relevant home gardening publications
- Enter our Sweepstakes to win a free University of Hawaii, sixteen week horticultural training course to become a certified Master Gardener!
Four Days of Fun, Food, Farming & Great Entertainment for the Family!
The Kauai County Farm Bureau Fair is a community event supported by island businesses.
For 2018 Sponsorship information, email Annette Leftheriotis, Sponsorship and Entertainment Coordinator, at: email@example.com.
Aloha Kia Kauai & Kauai Harley Davidson • Alaska Airlines • Alexander & Baldwin Properties, Inc. • Bank of Hawaii • Coca Cola • College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources University of Hawaii at Manoa • County of Kauai Department of Water • Dow AgroSciences • DuPont Pioneer • Family and Friends of Agriculture • Farm Credit Services of Hawaii • Friends of Mel Rapozo • First Hawaiian Bank • Garden Island Federal Credit Union • GEICO Insurance • Grove Farm Company • Hawaii Dairy Farms • Hartung Brothers Inc. Hawaii • Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association – Kauai Chapter • HMSA • Kauai Coffee Company • Kauai Community Federal Credit Union • Kauai Government Employees Federal Credit Union • Kauai Grown • Kauai Island Utility Cooperative • Kuku‘iula • Matson Navigation • Oceanic Time Warner Cable is now Spectrum • Nathan Wood General Contractor • Rising Sun Solar • Safeway • Subway Sandwiches • State Senator Ron Kouchi • Sunbelt Rentals • Territorial Savings Bank • Times • Ulupono Initiative • Wilcox Health • Napa Auto Parts • Metalhaus • Friends of Derek Kawakami
In Kind: Tyri Inc • American Medical Response • Courtyard Marriott at Coconut Beach • County of Kauai • Avis-Budget Group • Garden Island Security • Hawaiian Airlines • KUAI AM570 & 104.5FM • KONG Radio Group • State of Hawaii – Department of Transportation – Harbors Division • Wellington Fence • Young Brothers • GP Roadway Solutions
Mahalo to Sarah Thompson for website photos
© Copyright, 2018, Kauai County Farm Bureau, P.O. Box 3895, Lihue HI 96766